Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Bring on the sunshine, bring on the RAIN...?

Havent posted in a while... Still learning how to be an "official" blogger I guess! I always thought it an odd thing to write about your life for other people to read... I've ALWAYS been a pretty avid journaler, but those arent for anyone else to read. So I never quite understood why anyone would be interested in reading about what I did on a certain day and my thoughts about it... I guess you must be since you are reading it:) And since we are so far away from family and friends there really is no better way to stay connected!


SO, for those of you who dont know, Ben and I are currently still in our apartment in Lago Vista, TX. We had a little detour up to Dallas for about a week for work and now we are back! Dallas was nothing too exciting, though it was prettier and less busy then I expected. The homes and neighborhoods we worked at were beautiful and very friendly and safe. I guess I've heard some bad things about Dallas and was expecting the worst of it. But I really did enjoy the city! Ben and I even got to take a trolley around town to see the sites since the weather was gross and we couldnt exactly get up on roofs in the rain...


SPEAKING of RAIN! We finally got some the other night! WOO HOO... (unfortunately for us, no hail....) Our apartment is called the Island because it is literally surrounded by water (MOST OF THE TIME). There is a bridge that you drive on to get to the parking garage and normally there is water on both sides. However, since we have moved here and because of the drought, the lake is only 38% full... yes I said 38! So where there is normally water all you can see is brown dirt and grass has begun to grow. It's absolutely crazy! The people who live on the lake have had to move their docks MULTIPLE times down the hills in order to keep the docks actually headed to the water. By now I think many of them have given up, as their docks only lead to more dirt. What a bummer to live on a lake that is running out of water!

We have been told that this has happened before (though not many times has it been THIS bad) and surprisingly, the lake fills up quite fast once the rain begins to come.

The other night (Monday night) as Ben and I were getting ready to head out there were flash flood and tornado warnings for our county... we decided to stay in and have a game night to avoid the predicted crazy and dangerous weather. Unfortunately the weather was not as exciting as they predicted it would be, and the heavy rain didnt start until right before we were heading to bed! So we didnt even get to enjoy watching the storm:( But the good news was that Lago Vista and more particularly lake Travis did get some rain. It has a long ways to go... but something is better than nothing!

As you can see... most of the docks end up leading to nowhere. Almost everything you see is normally
 covered by water. The dock that you do see in the water has been moved multiple times.


Again... pretty much all of the dirt and rocks that you see is normally covered up by water


Praise God for the rain!  (Soon I will try to put up better pictures to show more of the lake)

No comments:

Post a Comment