Friday, May 11, 2012

Rice Cake Recipes: Gluten Free!

Ever since I found out I had a gluten allergy rice cakes have been a life saver! One of my favorite breakfast foods used to be toast with peanut butter and banana on top. I loved the way the peanut butter would melt over the toast and Mmmm, it was so good! Luckily there is gluten free bread... unfortunately it is expensive and I haven't found one that tastes like it should. Sooner than later when we are home I will learn how to use my wonderful bread machine given from Brittany Bailey as a wedding gift, (thanks Brittany!) but on the road I don't have that option. This is where I have had to get creative and think of different ways to enjoy an easy lunch on the road without a stomach ache... Answer: Rice cakes

Sure, they really dont sound that great, especially compared to a nice warm piece of bread! But I have found some ways to eat these that I really like! Plus I dont get the plain ones, those really dont have any flavor and DO taste like cardboard. But the chocolate, caramel, and apple-cinnamon ones are actually really good with the right topping!

It all started out with this... the basic recipe:

*Note: Use almond butter for any of these and it is delicious as well!

Peanut Butter and Banana Toast Revised:Chocolate, Caramel (my favorite with this recipe), or Apple-Cinnamon Rice cakes with Peanut butter, and sliced banana on top(occasionally I would drizzle some honey or agave over the top)




Ants on a Log Revised with Rice Cakes:  Chocolate (Me and Ben's favorite with this recipe), Caramel, and Apple-Cinnamon Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter and raisins on top, delicious! This is the one that Ben and I have MOST often. (Sometimes we just do peanut butter and sprinkle trail mix over top)



Caramel Apple Cinnamon: Another option is an apple cinnamon rice cake, peanut butter, with some caramel, cinnamon and nuts drizzled over. (Or you can omit the peanut butter and just do a caramel apple cinnamon rice cake!
Caramel Nut Crunch

Strawberry Cream Cheese Bagel: This morning I tried a chocolate rice cake with plain cream cheese and strawberries on top; it was almost like dessert for breakfast!



There are SO many different varieties and ways you can use rice cakes. They are not only healthier, but if you are going gluten free this is a perfect substitution for bread!  Get creative! I have seen a recipe for rice cake pizza; you use pizza sauce, and add on your favorite toppings! So you can do sweet or salty... Let me know if you try any new delicious versions and I will keep you updated on my experiments!



Note: None of the above photos are my own

No comments:

Post a Comment