Friday, May 11, 2012

Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Chex

I have a LARGE sweet tooth. I mean huge.  After dinner is my FAVORITE time to have something sweet.  It's like all the saltiness of dinner creates this craving inside of me that says I must have something sweet.  Well the night before we left for Kentucky the craving came and there was no ice cream in the freezer and we didnt have many ingredients for me to whip something up since we had just gotten back from McAllen and didnt have any time to grocery shop before we headed out to Kentucky. Luckily I have a large stash of Chex cereal, (that is one of the few gluten free cereals out there and I happen to love the cinnamon, chocolate and honey nut flavors).  They always have a few fun recipes on the back of the boxes so I decided to look and see if there was any that sounded good, that we had all the ingredients for. I found this one and it worked really well; Ben and I both really liked it!


Chex(R) Apple Pie Snack Mix Recipe
Photo: Not my own
Apple Pie Chex Mix:





What You Will Need:

  • 3 cups Cinnamon Chex® cereal
  • 3 cups Rice Chex® cereal
  • 1 cup walnut pieces
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups dried or freeze-dried apples, coarsely chopped if necessary ( I omitted these because the only ones we had in the house contain WHEAT.
  • 1 cup white vanilla baking chips
  • 1 teaspoon shortening
  •             Preparing the Chex:

    1. In large microwaveable bowl, mix cereals and walnuts.
    2. In 2-cup microwaveable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg uncovered for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
    3. Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring after each minute. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Sprinkle apples evenly over cereal mixture.
    4. In small microwaveable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips and shortening uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over cereal mixture; let stand until set. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight container.

    
    Clearly my calling is not photography! You know how some of the pictures of food make you want to make it RIGHT away?? Well, sory folks, this probably will not be one of those. BUT I promise it does taste really good!  If you are looking for something really good, quick, easy, gluten free... it's perfect!

    Ben and I had it for a snack that night, and I put the rest in a bag for us to take on our road trip to munch on when we got tired! It was perfect... I ate too much at times, careful... it's addicting!

    Moral of the story: NEVER underestimate the recipes on the back of boxes, they may surprise you:)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment